The 2020 calendar has now been published and our first Sunday racing starts on 29 March with one start and we will all be racing for the Navigator trophy – the first sea race of the season.
This season sees a return of the favourites and some exciting new additions. These include;
- VE Day Pursuit race: A pursuit race on the VE Day Bank Holiday on Friday 8 May. The slower boats will start at 1100hrs – but who will be the club champion?
- Junior integration days: Working with the Adur Sailing Club to better integrate our clubs we are offering three days of joint activities. Sunday 12 April, Saturday 9 May and Sunday 2 August – see our separate news article for further information.
- Club regatta: Sunday 2 August is our Club regatta with racing out at sea, in the harbour and fun games and activities on the shore and in the water! Shoreham SC and Adur boats will be teamed up across the different events with prizes for the winners. A full day of fun at the club including BBQ which is not to be missed.
Below is a summary of the regular sailing activities we run;
- Sunday racing: Split into three series (Spring, Summer and Autumn) we run a morning and afternoon race (back-to-back) out at sea with fleet prizes for Merlin Rockets, Wayfarers, RS200s, Fast and Medium Handicap and new this season D-zero’s.
- Easter Cup: This is an open event so invite your friends for two days of racing out at sea. First start at 1100hrs on Sunday 12 April. All visitors welcome for just £10 for the two days of racing.
- Wednesday evenings: Starting on 15th April this is a favourite with those that do it – but we’re not sure whether it is the racing or the BBQ afterwards! Racing happens just outside the harbour with multiple laps on a smaller course than on Sundays. Everyone brings their own food to cook on the BBQ and enjoys a good catch up with friends.
- Improvers: Regular sessions for juniors starting out in sailing and for those wanting to develop their racing skills out at sea. See you the website for further details.
- Youth series: Racing out at sea on a smaller course than the ‘seniors’ the youth series is run across six weekends.
- Battle of the Beaches: Joint racing with Lancing Sailing club and run further West than we normally race giving opportunity for both clubs to share racing resources and create a little local rivalry. Battle of the Beaches also includes Barts Bash which is run from Lancing Sailing Club.
- Cooler series: Run at the end of the season, this series is open to visitors and was re-introduced last year and raced over windward-leward courses. The popular format will remain for 2020 and the start times have been changed to better fit in with the tides.
- Brown Leaf series: A series for juniors from Shoreham SC and the Scouts raced in the harbour over two weekends.
- Open meetings: This year we are running open meetings for Toppers (Saturday only), Wayfarers, Ospreys, RS 200s (Saturday only) and Merlin Rockets. There will not be club racing on the Merlin weekend, but the other events will be run alongside club racing.
- National championships: We will host the National 12 Championships over the August Bank holiday. We are expecting 40 boats from around the country and are excited to be running our first double-handed championships for many years.